Creating a company logo can be one of the most exciting aspects of starting a business, but the process usually begins as one of the most stressful. Although tasks such as finances and hiring usually come to mind as the stressful aspects of starting a restaurant, many are surprised to find that creating a memorable logo is no easy task. A logo is something that is stuck to your brand for a long time, and many companies have actually discovered that improving a company was as easy as improving the logo. In other words, designing that perfect logo is important. There are five items to consider when you set out to create your logo:
- Customers – You want to put thought into your target audience. The logo should be something your audience can relate to and will enjoy; not just something that you think looks cool.
- Competition – You do not want to create your brand in a way that is similar to your competition. If your competition has one shape logo, consider another; if your competition has one specific color scheme; choose another. A logo is supposed to be about your brand and remind people of your brand with no confusion.
- Type – There are two different types of logos that a company can create: typographic and symbolic, which are discussed below.
It is also important to think about the meaning of your business. Although a logo is small, its job is to encompass the meaning of your company while still grabbing someone’s attention. Fortunately, restaurant logos are often a bit easier because there are quite a few things that define a restaurant!
Two Different Types of Restaurant Logos
One of the most important places to start when creating a logo is not only thinking about your customers and competition, but putting thought into the type of logo you want to create. Consider below the two different types of logos:
- Typographic – These types of logos are the easiest because they actually type out the name of the company. This works best for companies that have a short name or a unique name.
- Symbolic – These types of logos are simply symbols and rely on brand recognition. If someone does not recognize a symbolic logo, they will not know what company that logo represents. Therefore, these types of logos work best if you are an established company or if you have a very generic name.
Once you have considered the type of logo that is right for your restaurant, it is time to get started drafting up a few prototypes. Generally companies hire designers to make this happen, and it is the job of the designer to take all of the company’s notes about what the logo should entail. It’s best to draw up a few and ask the opinions of family, friends and current clients before making your choice.
Surprising Companies That Underwent Logo Changes
Although you may think that your logo works great now, there could potentially come a time when a logo needs to evolve with a company or a logo isn’t helping a company. Below lists a few successful companies that had to try a few different prototypes before settling on the perfect logo:
How did your restaurant create a logo that works? Let us know your secrets in the comment section below!
Photo Credit: webdesignshock.com
Amanda DiSilvestro is also a professional blogger that writes on a variety of topics including Chicago restaurants. She writes for Restaurants.com, a leading directory of restaurant ratings.